Class plan for Embedded Narratives (writing about environments)…
Begin Unit Place
• Write detailed description of the classroom: look for words that create or represent , its very banality and neutrality makes the point that even boring environments create mood.
• Write in stairwell, one student on each step, facing brick wall, describe everything, then turn and do the same for across the way- infinite detail, even in an enclosed space; perspective shift from really close to close is enough to enlarge the pool of possible details
• Write to music- describe environments brought to mind, play DJ, In the Hall of the Mountain King, Bulgarian Women’s Choir, Yma Sumac, electronic music, Swans…
• Write out of senses in building- different rooms or spaces through 5 different senses, 5 minutes for each sense. Someone always goes in the bathroom for smell…
• Discussion of environment as narrative- embedded narratives, where part of the story is told through the where and the mood of the setting.
Beginnings of Writing for Interactive New Media:
Writing as list: 10 Things I Cannot Do Every Day
Mind Map this list, then re-order it in order of importance
Discussion of hierarchy and order, nodes, details
Add details to mind map
Discussion of image/text
Show Patchwork Girl
Show the Secret Location site- example of a script that is interactive
Show Poems that Go, public and private symbols
Show Book of Sand
Discuss Reflections on Writing-flow, ego, in love with one’s own voice, singular, the not knowing, language vs. words
Discuss Linear vs Interactive Writing- hypertexts, non-sequential ideas, chronology and irrationality
Write a story based on random google screen image list.
Poems that Go
Book of Sand